Head First HTML5 Programming
Here are just some of the things you'll learn in Head First HTML5 Programing:
- Learn how to make your pages truly interactive by using the power of the DOM.
- Use the Geolocation API to know where your users are.
- Bring out your inner artist with Canvas, HTML5's new 2D drawing surface.
- Go beyond just plugging a video into your pages, and create custom video experiences.
- Learn the secret to grabbing five megabytes of storage in every user's browser.
- Improve your page's responsiveness and performance with Web workers.
- And much more.
What you should know before reading this book
This is a learning experience, not a reference book. We deliberately stripped out everything that might get in the way of learning whatever it is we're working on at that point in the book. And the first time through, you need to begin at the beginning, because the book makes assumptions about what you've already seen and learned.
We expect you to know HTML and CSS.
If you don't know HTML markup (that is, all about HTML documents including elements, attributes, property structure, structure versus presentation), then pick up a copy of Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML before starting this book. Otherwise, you should be good to go.
We encourage you to use more than one browser with this book.
We encourage you to test the pages and web applications in this book with several browsers. This will give you experience in seeing the differences among browsers and in creating pages that work well in a variety of browsers. We most highly recommend Google Chrome and Apple Safari for use with this book as they are, in general, the most up-to-date with the current standards. But we do recommend you also try the most recent versions of the other major browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera, as well as mobile browsers on devices with iOS and Android.
That's it! Have fun...
Book code and downloadsDownload the example files (all .zip files):
(opens a new window)
Buy 2 books and get the third free! Use the coupon code OPC10 when you check out.
For you if...
- Do you have a computer with a web browser and a text editor?
- Do you want to learn, understand, remember, and create web applications using the best techniques and most recent standards?
- Do you prefer stimulating dinner party conversation to dry, dull, academic lectures?
Not for you if...
- Are you completely new to writing web pages?
- Are you already developing web apps and looking for a reference book on HTML5?